Softly, softly catchee Coptic
Assignment 1 Year 2 – copy a segment of historical tapestry in 20 cm x 20 cm.
I picked a bit of Coptic weave (Egyptian, 3rd or 4th century AD). The original full piece was itself only about 24 cm x 24 cm, and I am reproducing less than 1/4 of it. The original was at about 30 epi, and I have ‘blown up’ the image as it were and am working at about 8 epi. I got very discouraged early on – the images were distorting and the techniques were obscure.Have managed to get moving again – about 1/3 done as you see:
Things to note:
1. The extremely tight warp sett (but not in my reproduction).
2. Warp of the original was probably linen.
3. All colours are pure – no mixed threads.
4.Extensive use of ‘flying shuttle’ technique.
5. Avoidance of long slits by frequent ‘dovetailing’.
6. But, paradoxically, frequent single warp wraps – which DO result in slits….
Still have quite a way to go – and will probably comment more later.